Friday, October 9, 2009

A(Theism)

Okay, I wanna let you know:

Being a theist requires a bit of faith in any respect. Although, something that is kinda funny is that being an atheist ALSO implies that you have faith.

Let me explain.

It takes a certain degree of faith to 'believe' (and I say believe because religion or theism can't be disproved, despite an atheist's need for evidence to buy into a thought mode) but it takes a bit of faith to 'believe' that there is nothing that exists outside what can be proven to you. What you know to be true is in your little box of perception, and to me it seems foolish to think that what is true exists wholly in that perception, because what's a house to an ant? What's a planet to a cat? What's the universe to a human? We don't see all that is nor understand all that is outside our limited perception.

So, to say that nothing outside what can be proven sufficiently is true, you're essentially putting your truth in a little box that, by the way, is modified constantly. Perceptions change.

Tell me, how can all the truth there is, all the mysteries of life and the cosmos be contained in a box labeled 'evidence' when no person can even cohesively put all the evidence together?

It should be obvious that there is something external to our observational method that puts all the pieces into place.

I'm not being a proponent of God. I'm not a christian by ANY means, and I don't take scripture as fact. I don't believe in some God who has an active or inactive role in my life or even in the course of humanity. Don't get me wrong, I respect religious traditions and scriptures and the lessons therein, but still I do not call myself an atheist.

This is based on the conception that a human can KNOW something. Not having the necessity to be persuaded to any mode of thought by evidence, but having the ability to KNOW regardless of persuasion or conflicting evidence or critiques. To think and to know are very different things. An atheist can think anything of the world they want, but they do not KNOW, outside of an acquisition of enough evidence, anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment