Monday, February 8, 2010

Writing the Breakout Novel : Review

     This book by Donald Maas is by far the best writer's resource book I've ever read. I borrowed this book from the library was was impressed with just the introduction. By the time I had reached chapter 6 (about halfway through the book) I had realized with growing intensity that I was going to read this book many times in my life. I knew I would return to it every time I embarked on a writing project or reached any kind of block in my work. I couldn't resist. I went out and bought it for myself.

     Every paragraph in this book is helpful. Having much writing experience and having read through countless writer's resource books you may glance at the chapter titles and say to yourself 'yeah, I've heard that before. Stakes, conflict, theme, characters, plot, blah, blah, blah,' and the author recognizes this fact. He doesn't tell you what you've heard before. He tells you the truth, the real techniques of a breakout novel, and specifically how to implement them complete with exercises (also with a separate workbook for those so inclined) and a checklist at the end of every chapter.

     If you doubt that any book on writing books will actually help you out, think again. Not only is it worth a read, it's worth a buy. I knew not even halfway through this book that I could toss out all the other reference books on the topic on my shelf and be perfectly prepared to embark on a novel-writing quest destined for success. Even if you feel you've got a great idea in your head, and maybe even a good draft, this book will be essential in many respects. If you've got a good idea, this book will make you make it better. If your manuscript is struggling, prepare for a shining new draft when you finish this book.

     I'd recommend this to anyone who has ever thought about writing a novel, or would even be interested in being an editor, agent, or publisher. This book tell you what to look for and how to make it better. Don't settle for a mediocre book, when every writer is capable of writing a breakout novel. This guy has sold numerous breakout novels, had years and years of experience as a high-profile literary agent, and has published fourteen novels under a pseudonym. He knows what he's talking about, and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment